We trained to Naples from Rome and settled in to our apartment in the Spanish Quarter high above Via Chiaia and Via Toledo, Naples major shopping streets.
We have a half floor of an old palazzo and our landlady Filomene lives right next door. She gave us a tour of the apartment and the well-appointed kitchen. I have to light the stove with one of those sparking tools.
Filomene recommended an osteria around the corner for our first midday meal, an informal family run place. We were hungry and we went to eat before we even unpacked.
The owner welcomed us as he opened the door with his baby in his arms. We felt like we were eating in their dining room. The food was superb, a warm welcome to Napoli.
I had fiori di zucca as my appetizer, zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella and anchovy, dipped in a light batter and fried. Next spaghetti a ragu, a flavorful dark red tomato sauce. Beef braciola, a beef roll stuffed with garlic, pecorino and parsley ended my meal.
I was out today to shop in the outdoor markets in the streets around our apartment. I couldn’t get vitello e piselli out of my mind, so that’s today’s recipe.
Tender cubes of veal with sweet spring peas in a garlic and oregano infused tomato sauce. This is one of my favorite comfort foods that my Mom made often.
Veal and peas is quick and easy if you use a good cut of veal. It can be on your table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 pound veal loin, cubed
- 1 pound peas in the pod, shelled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tomato passato (sauce from Italy) or San Marzano tomatoes crushed well by hand
- Put a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot and starts to ripple add the veal and cook until browned all over.
- Add the garlic, oregano and peas and mix well.
- Cook until the garlic is translucent and the peas start to turn bright green.
- Add the tomato and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the veal and peas are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.