Summer just arrived and I’m starting to get in the mood for the bounty slowly hitting the market.
This simple yet complex salad is my bridge to the new season.
Insalata cruda e cotta is an interesting mix of fresh and cooked vegetables and will be on your table in about 30 minutes.
Sweet roasted onions, just tender green beans, crunchy lettuce, ripe tomatoes, and exploding creamy potatoes, complex flavor and texture in every bite. The oil and vinegar dressing with perky capers and briny black olives elevates this simple salad to a whole new level.
Serve insalata cruda e cotta as part of an antipasti course , a light lunch or as a side for meat or fish.
- 1 pound sweet onions
- ½ pound red potatoes
- ½ pound green beans
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 head butter or Bibb lettuce
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and roughly chopped (I like Gaeta or oil-cured olives)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel the onion and cut into ¾ inch slices.
- Brush both sides of the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the onion is softened and lightly carmelized on the edges, turning them over once at midpoint.
- Break the slices into rings and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring the pot to a boil and cook just until the potatoes are knife tender.
- Take the potatoes out of the water and cut into 2 inch wedges.
- Put the potatoes in the bowl.
- Trim the beans and cook them in the boiling water until they just start to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Strain the beans, cut into 2 inch pieces and put them in the bowl.
- Put the olives, capers, the rest of the olive oil, vinegar in the bowl.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste and mix all the ingredients well.
- Cut the tomatoes into 2 inch wedges and add them to the bowl.
- Rip the lettuce leaves into bite size pieces and add them to the bowl.
- Toss with the other ingredients to coat everything well with the dressing.